A good way to help you conceptualize what SEO is for is to think of the internet as your high school; and Google as the most popular kid in school. Everyone wants to know Google and be in his friend group.
So, what would you do to try and join the “cool” group in high school? What would you do to get Google to notice you and make you part of his elite friend group?
- One way is to make friends with one or more of the friends in the group. You make friends with one of Google’s good friends, then Google will see you as a friend and bring you into his group; no need to prove yourself too much – if his friend thinks your cool, then you will get included…if you make friends with more than one of his good friends, you will be brought into the group even faster and be even more important.
- Another way is to do something really big that causes a big stink such as a media frenzy. With all the attention, it would be hard for Google to ignore you.
- An alternate option is to have so many friends in the high school that it is hard for Google to ignore you – I mean, everyone knows you and what you do…you have thousands of friends.
- You could also be really cool yourself, have some really cool toys and be a step above all the other peers in your group. You could, for example, be a very complete source of knowledge when it comes to a particular topic; so knowledgeable in fact, that it’s hard to ignore you because you are essentially a pioneer.
To sum it up, there is one “cool kid” in school in school and his name is Google. If you want to be anyone in this high school (the internet) you better make sue he know who you are and what you are all about.
So, if you want your business to be ranked well on the internet you either:
- Have to know the right person or be associate with the right site or business.
- Have to know a whole lot of people or businesses who are willing to support you.
- Be a pioneer in your industry; maintain a volume of resources and knowledge that cannot be overlooked. (where most sites have a chance of being).
Once you are ready, it’s just a matter of flying the right flag high enough for the right ones to notice you.